Wednesday, September 02, 2009

snow monkeys


i went to the gym after a hard day at the office and treated myself to a jacuzzi/ sauna sesh!

while sitting there peering over the bubbles at my co-cuzziers (is there a better term for these people?!) i was reminded of those cute snow monkeys you get pictures of in the paper every now and again, little red faced fellas loving the natural hot springs over in Asia... apparently the first monkey to try it copied the men it saw having a dip and then all its monkey friends joined in too!

which led me to wonder about whether the reason humans have no body fur like other mammals is to help us to swim, making us more aerodynamic perhaps? or maybe we don't have fur because we started off in hot climates south of the equator and adapted from there... which reminds me of reading some place about how the Spanish Armada failed to defeat Britain due to our inclement weather! it's a wonder this country isn't competely barren or full of a special breed of waterproof humans! I also recall hearing that the Romans despised our cold and rainy climate too, but they certainly stayed for a good innings anyway, i have a Roman nose! haha

which reminds me that the Gaugin picture my friend sent me of a chick from the 1400s certainly doesn't look too different to me and he was in France then, i guess i have Euro roots which is reasonable given Liverpool's history as a port town.. but all this wondering about human history from a few bubbles after work!

maybe the chlorine has gone to my head... hehe

ooh but it was nice ;)

No comments: