Wednesday, October 03, 2007

domestic goddess in waiting

it may be the weather but i been getting all 'nest-building' this last week...

from checking my larder, to buying stuff for the bathroom in my shared house, to clearing out the cr*p in my wardrobe... i'm thinking it's pure autumnal instinct but i always like to take notice of when i'm behaving in a 'primal' manner, i think it's fun and gives me a little perspective on the world...

i also got creative with some chickpeas in the kitchen last week! now i don't know about you but i love a bit of houmous and cos i had spare chickpeas from a nifty chickpea and feta salad i'd dished up for my man t'other week i decided to have a go at my favourite savoury dip! now i'll be honest and tell you it was a little lumpy but that's cos i need an electric hand whisk in my life, but you know i thin it added to the character of it! i always think of mu mum's lumpy mash with nothing but fondness! infact i'd go as far as to say that no-lumpy mash just doesn't do it for quite as much! hehe

here's the recipe i used if you fancy having a go yourself:

2 cloves garlic roughly chopped
Qtr cup lemon juice
Half cup water
14 oz (400g) canned
chickpeas rinsed and drained
Half cup
tahini
1 teaspoon sea salt

PLACE all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth, scraping the sides occasionally.
Variations: If you like a spicier hummus, add a small red chili (chopped) or a pinch of cayenne pepper, or try a little cumin for a more exotic variation.
Tip: Prepare extra quantities of hummus as it can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 1 week and frozen for up to 3 months.


i gotta warn you tho you might want to scale down that recipe - its been a week and i'm still trying to get through all that houmous! Tahini is a little tricky to get hold of but i eventually found it in my favourite health food store Holland & Barrett...

i squished the garlic in a crusher thing before adding and since i only have a rubbish blender i mashed it all together with my hands - I KNOW! hence the lumps.. but you know what - them lumps had character! hehe

let me know how you get on if you decide to go for it!

No comments: